Chew. Digest. Repeat.

Thanks for stoppin by. The point of the web (in my eyes), and therefore blogs, is the opportunity for community. Or maybe it's the evolution of community. Whatever. Its not about self-absorbed pontificating, but more about getting a diversity of thought out there for all of us to grow from. So that gives me the freedom to write what I think (at least for today) and not hafta give a crap if anyone agrees. Cuz it's not about agreement. It's about engaging with others, and the (hopefully) positive cumulative effect of all those millions of interactions. So interact. or don't. You're a free person.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Slavery of attachment

Attachment...
How is an attachment formed?
First comes the contact with something or someone that gives me pleasure: a car, a gadget, a word of praise, a flirtacious glance...
Then comes the desire to hold on to it, to repeat and maintain this wonderful sensation that this thing or person or experience caused me.
Finally comes the conviction that I will not be happy without it/them, for I have equated happiness with the pleasure it/they brought to me.
I now have developed a fully-conceived attachment, and with it comes an inevitable exclusion of other things, an insensitivity to anything that is not part of my attachment. Each time I leave the attachment, I leave part of my heart with it, thereby not having it to invest in the next place I go. The symphony of life moves on, but I keep looking back, clinging to a few bars of the melody, blocking my ears to the rest of the music, thereby producing disharmony and conflict between what life is offering me and what I am clinging to. Then comes the tension and anxiety that are the very death of love, and the freedom it brings. Because Love and Freedom are only found when one enjoys each note as it arises, then allows it to go, so as to be fully receptive to the notes that follow.
So how do I drop an attachment?
Do I try to renounce it?
But to renounce some bars of music, to blot them out of my existence, this creates the same kind of soul violence and insensitivity that clinging does. Once again I have hardened myself.
The secret is to renounce nothing, to cling to nothing, enjoy everything and allow it to pass, to flow.
How? By really looking at the product of my clinging. The rotteness, the corrupt nature of attachment. I usually just concentrate on the thrill, the lust, the infatuation of aquisition, the pleasure it brings. I don't look at the anxiety, the the loss, the un-freedom it brings.
Finally, I can look at attachment at a mass-level. Our culture, driven by dissatisfaction and the lust of aquisition. Rotten and infected with attachments. To be a productive member of society, you must participate in that race for more. In other words, if I pursue these things/people/experiences with a driving ambition that destroys the symphony of my life and makes me hard and cold and insensitive to others and myself, you will look at me as a "good man" (which happens to be one of the things that I desire, to boot...). My relatives and friends will be proud of the status that I have achieved, and I will feel like I have worth. For a brief moment.
I believe that some of this is what a very wise man meant when he taught, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven."

No comments: